Our top tips for safely enjoying the use of personal water craft — e.g. jet skis — in permitted areas of the tidal River Thames.
Without proper training, using a personal water craft on the Thames Estuary can be dangerous. Machinery failure is the main cause of incidents, leaving users vulnerable in a potentially busy waterway. There are also risks from the effects of cold water, currents, tides and exhaustion.
The Golden Rules:
- Only launch, moor and land from authorised launch sites;
- Read and observe the Port of London Authority Byelaws and rules posted at launch sites;
- Ensure you have adequate public liability insurance and ID;
- Register with Datatag and clearly display your “Datatag Visible ID”;
- Carry the correct safety equipment when afloat;
- Show consideration to other water users, particularly with your wake;
- Consider joining a local PWC club;
- Give ships a wide berth and always give way to larger vessels.